Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer Vacations






The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of fun vacations! We started with a trip to Captiva Island...a small island off the coast of Florida. It is beautiful there. One of the things that makes it different from other beaches are the shells that wash up on the shore. We spent hours walking the shore and filling up our sand pails with shells. We enjoyed the wonderful pool and the beach in our backyard. From my parents shower, you could actually see the ocean. The house was fabulous! We actually saw a school of dolphins one morning from our own back porch. Wow! Ryan and Kate loved the ocean and sand, but Ryan of course was not sure at first. He just takes a while to warm up to things. My parents went with us, and we had some good quality "grandparent" time. (Makes me really lonesome for them to move back to Big D!) I could have stayed all summer...the only decision to make was whether to go to the beach or the pool, the view from every window was breathtaking, I had built in babysitters, a good fairy (my mom) to help with laundry, and a hubby who never had to go to work...what's not to love!
From there we came home and changed vacation gears to go to New York with Chad. Kate and I joined him while Ryan stayed with grandma. Definitely a change of pace, but we had a great time. We saw the Little Mermaid on Broadway-fabulous!!! Ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner, Kate, my very picky eater, ate calamari (even though she didn't know what she was eating), we went to the top of the Empire State Building one night (wow!!!), and ate brunch at the American Girl store. It was a wonderful time, but 3 days in New York is good. Ryan had a great time at Nonnie's house, and I think he could have happily stayed another week. Of course I am sure no one ever told him no, he didn't have to share any toys, and he got jelly beans every day. What's not to love about going to grandma's?
Here are a few beach pics...I'll have to post New York after I have had a chance to load them.

No comments: