Thursday, March 30, 2006

First week as a family of 4!!!

I can't believe that Ryan has been with us for just a little over a week now. All in all I have to say that the "transition" from 3 to 4 has gone pretty smoothly. I am certain it is due to the enormous amount of help I have had from grandmothers and from the generosity of our friends to bring dinner and help out with Kate. My sweet friend Kim takes her to and from Shelton on Tues and Thurs, so she is gone from 8-4. I know this seems like a long day, but it is what she is used to when we are in our normal routine.
Leading up to Ryan's birth I really wondered if I would love another as much as Kate, if it would be different with a boy, if it would take longer to bond with a 2nd child, but somehow, God carves another spot in your heart just as big for the next child. I am completely amazed, and I was in love from the moment I saw him. Babies and their entrance into the world is really so amazing, and I am in awe of God's creation all over again.
Kate had a hard time at the hospital, but I think it was just overwhelming for her with so much going on. She was actually the first one back in labor and delivery when he was born, and she was perfect then. The next day was more overwhelming with so much going on. She would not even sit on the bed to hold him or take a picture with me. I think it was just overwhelming with so much goin on. My advice to all you mom's out there having #2s is to let your time with the sibling be all about them. Try to do it when there is not a lot going on so the focus can really be on them. People have been so sweet to Kate, and given her as many gifts as they have Ryan. This is so thoughtful, and makes her feel so included. She has really been perfect since we have been home. The time may be coming, but she has not been acting out or anything like that. She did ask this morning when Ryan would go back in my tummy, but it was more out of curiosity than wanting to send him away. I sent his picture with her to school, and Kim said she showed it to everybody, so proud of her baby brother.
A little more on Kate, she has some imaginary friends, and I have no idea where she came up with the names, they are so strange...I am not even sure how to spell them, but I will try:
Suvys, Seevys, Bobston, and Biston...somebody tell me how she came up with that? She has had these guys for a while, but I keep forgetting to post about it.
This weekend mom and I are taking her to a puppet show...some good girl time with just Kate, and I hope she will love it.
Now, about Ryan, He seems pretty easy so far, but it has just been a week! I don't think he will spit like Kate did. She was forever spitting up. A bib stayed on her 24/7 for the first 5 months, but he seems to hold his milk down better (I hope!) He spent the first couple of nights in bed with Chad and I, but he has moved to his own crib. He didn't want any of that bassinet stuff. He prefers his own bed...much like his mama! He has started staying awake a little more after he eats. It is fun to see him so bright eyed. He hates his bath and getting his diaper changed. Right now he just gets a spit bath because his cord is still attatched. Hopefully he will like bath better when he can get in the little tub. I finally figured you have to point his little thing down when you put on a new diaper, or it leaks all over the place. Good to know if you have a boy. He is so cuddly and just gets in a "wad," as my sister in law called it, when you hold him. Tucks his little legs up under him and snuggles into you. So sweet. He always has his little hands around his face, especially when he is eating or sleeping. This is exactly how he was in my stomach. I felt little hands down around his face all the time. I love how you see what they were doing in your stomach.

4 comments:

leslie said...

Congratulations, Kate!! Post some pictures as soon as you can!

Amber Smith said...

So excited for you Cori! I'll be checking for pictures of that sweet baby. Congratulations!

Lisa Renee said...

Cori, I found your blog through Alyssa's, I think. We have a lot of friends in common! Anyhoo... congrats from the Phillips Family! I had the same fears about having two, only I had a boy first. It really is amazing how your love just expands! My little girl is only 4 months old but they are already so different. I totally agree about making it ALL about the older one. We still call Olivia, Ty's baby. Did you get the big sister shirt? Ty loved wearing his brother shirt to school. Anyhoo... so happy for you and Chad and your family.

hollyfouts said...

Congratulations! I am so happy that you precious little boy has made his arrival, is doing well, and most importantly is SO loved by his entire family...especially his big sister, Kate. Post pictures soon!