Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The first week of kindergarten and a big girl haircut






Our summer came to an end, and Kate started kindergarten this week. She was all ready with a big girl haircut from Sweet and Sassy, a new Hannah Montanna lunchbox, and a few new outfits to get her started. I had been quite emotional all month leading up to it, but now that she is going, it's really fine. All I can think to compare it to is her first birthday. When she turned one, I thought she would all of a sudden be so big, but she wasn't, she was still a baby. It is the same with school...I know she will grow so much this year, but just because she started school, doesn't make her less a little girl.
She was so excited the first morning, I think she woke up at 5:00. We all went with her on the firt day and walked her to her room. Since we'd been to "meet the teacher night" last week, she knew right where to put her backpack and sat down at her table. No nerves, tears, or anything. My big, brave girl. A hug a kiss, and we are off. Ryan and I did our usual Monday morning routine of the gym and grocery store...by about 12:00 I was beyond ready to go and get her. 3:00 couldn't come soon enough for mommy.
So far she loves school. They read the Gingerbread Man the first day and went on a hunt around the school to find him. They came back to find gingerbread cookies in their classroom. She has talked about that the most. She loves playing with Merit at recess. I still can't believe they are in school together, but I am so thankful that Kate has her to play with. She also has a friend from down the street in her class, as well as a few other girls on our street in the other Kinder classes.
I have figured out the best time to get her to tell me about her day is when we color together. She usually tells me some things in the car, but after that she isn't too interested in talking. When we sit down to color, she is always in a chatty mood.
Above are some snapshots of the first day and her new haircut.
On a side note, I realized that this is the first time in 29 years that I will not be starting school in some form or fashion come September. Since I was 4 years old, I have gone either as a student or teacher. Wow!
Our 5th addition will be here in 9 weeks! We can't wait to meet you sweet baby boy! Your sister is so excited to hold you. My doc went ahead and scheduled an induction, and you are supposed to arrive on Oct 28...we'll be home just in time to celebrate Halloween. Of course I am sure our littlest pumpkin will sleep through the whole thing, but we'll get some good photo ops, and I'll be home to enjoy trick or treating with my other goblins! Of course, this one could always throw us a big curve ball and come early, but we'll go ahead and put the 28th on the calendar.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Cori,

It is good to catch up on your life and your sweet family. I found your blog through Kristen and Alyssa's. Good luck with #3, our 3rd is due in March!

Tell your parents Hello!

Holly Paul Davis
hollydavis44@sbcglobal.net