Thursday, September 21, 2006

Motherhood

Whatever rite of passage there may be into motherhood, I crossed it today. On the way to school this morning Kate threw up in the car. Not a little spit...but the real thing. She did sort of a cough/burp thing and I turned around to look at her. We both kind of laughed, and then all of a sudden there it was. I didn't know what to do. What do you do? I just wheeled in the parking lot and undressed her, sat her on the curb and wiped her off with Ryan's wipes, then put her in the front seat covered in a blanket while I disassembled the car seat and took off the throw up soaked cover and wiped down the seat belt straps. It felt like it took forever to fool with that stupid carseat. I was so befuddled. Anyway, I locked the car with both kids in it and went in Starbucks to ask for a "barfcup" for the ride home. I told Kate to hold it and throw up in it if she felt like she needed to again. We made it home throw up free, but I had the car to clean as well as Kate. By the time we got home Ryan was screaming. I had to bathe Kate, and she was crying/whining, too. I felt my blood begin to boil, and wondered how I would even get through the bath, but I started sining. God Made the Big Round Sun, Twinkle Little Star...in my sweetest voice. It calmed the kids a little, and I think it calmed me even more. What a morning! I am very thankful I was the one who had to deal with the mess and not Rae (who is taking her to school) or her teacher. It is gross enough when it i your own kid, but when it is someone else's? Even worse.
On a good note, Kate learned to ride her tricycle yesterday. She has been practicing, but yesterday it just clicked! She kept wanting to ride down the sidewalk to see the mushrooms in our neighbors hard. She still has a hard time going uphill and over big cracks, but she will get it. I am so proud of her.

3 comments:

hollyfouts said...

Throw up is the worst! Sounds like you handled it all beautifully. Hope everyone is feeling better.

MereMoore said...

oh no that is terrible!! so sorry! it was good catching up with you on sunday!

Lisa Renee said...

I don't know how to post a comment on your latest post so I am doing it here. Oh my goodness Cori, your children are SO beautiful! Those eyes on Ryan are to die for! What a fun weekend.