Wednesday, April 12, 2006

3 week news and notes

Ryan will only be 3 weeks old tomorrow, yet I already can't remember what it was like without him. How is it that Chad and I can be so completely in love with someone we have known for just 3 weeks. It was the same way with Kate, yet I still don't understand how fast this feeling overtakes me.
He is already different from his sister. I knew he would be...just didn't know how. He gets a lot madder about things than she did, and he will kick and grunt and straighten his body stiff as a board when he is mad. He is not mad all the time, but when he is he makes it known. He is so strong with his legs and arms, alot stronger than I remember Kate being. He also has a kind of fussy time every night, and I don't remember Kate having one. She was very even tempered throughout the day. He gets fussy between 6 and 8, and he may stay that way for a while. The rest of the day he is really good and not fussy at all, so I can't complain. I just don't ever remember Kate crying for no reason like he does during those hours. He is a good sleeper...he has even slept for an 8 hour stretch the last 2 nights. Granted this was in his car seat and not in his bed, but still I am not complaining about 8 hours however I can get it. The first night I put him in there because he was really gassy and could not get comfortable in his bed. It soothed him to be rocked in his little seat, so when he fell asleep in there we left him. The next night I just wanted to see if it was a fluke, or if he would sleep that long again, and sure enough he did. The problem now is I will want to do that every night, and am I allowed to? I guess he is mine and I can do what I want to, but is that safe or good for them to do that? Someone said they prescribe that for babies with reflux. He naps during the day in his bed, so he is learning to sleep in there, too. At least when he is in his car seat it is in his room and not in our bed, so it seems like maybe it is the lesser of 2 evils. Any advice? One more big difference between Kate and Ryan is that he is not a spitter. Kate spit up ALL the time. She had to wear a bib constantly for the first 6 months of her life, and we went through at least 5 burp rags and 5 bibs a day with her. He does not spit at all...guess he makes up for it by peeing on himself daily.
Kate is still doing great! I just can't believe how easy the transition is gone...I am fairly certain it is the massive amount of help I am getting from my parents and grandparents. Gran and Grampy came to see Kate and Ryan on Friday. They brought her a tea set, and we made easter bunny cookies and played tea party. She loved it. That night Chad and I actually got to go on a date while my parents watched the kids. We went to see Inside Man (so good!) and to dinner. We even went "parking" between dinner and the movie. Ha! However, it was not so we could "make out", but so I could pump. We tried not to let it kill the mood of our evening out without the kids.

4 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

I see a lot of those same differences in Ty and Olivia and am wondering if its a boy vs. girl thing?! I did the car seat thing too when they are congested. I don't think it hurts anything and would go with what works for now! Its crazy having two isn't it? Saying the plural kids?!! Its pretty darn neat.

hollyfouts said...

Oh, how kids change everything. Would you have ever believed (before kids) that you would be parking to pump? Sounds so pitiful, but I know you wouldn't go back to life before those 2 adorable kids for anything in the world. And I would so let him sleep ANYWHERE if he'll sleep for 8 hours!

Alyssa said...

I love that you went parking to pump! Such a classic story for this time in our life! Thanks for writing about the car seat sleeping thing....Camryn has gotten real uncomfortable at night in her bed the last two nights...so it might be time to try some other options for a while!

MereMoore said...

That might be one of the funniest stories of the "parkin-N-pumping stories I have ever heard! Mallory slept in her car seat quite a bit b/c she had reflux-the would put her in that inside the crib! If you are getting 8 hours who cares? (This disclaimer states that I am NOT a mother and have NO credible knowledge!!)